As a new homeowner, one of the most important things to consider is the security of your new home. After all, your home is only as secure as your weakest entry point. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the top 5 reasons why you should consider changing locks on a new house and why you should consider hiring a locksmith to do the work.
5 Reasons to Change the Locks on a New House
- Previous Owners May Have Duplicate Keys – Unless you personally know the previous owners of your new home, you can’t be sure how many keys to your house are out there. It’s possible that the previous owners gave a key to a neighbor, family member, or friend, and forgot to retrieve it before moving out. So, should you change locks on a new house? The answer is a resounding yes. Changing the locks will ensure that you’re the only one with access to your new home.
- Protect Against Break-ins – Even if the previous owners didn’t give out any keys, it’s still a good idea to change the locks. You never know who might have had access to the keys in the past, such as contractors or real estate agents. Changing the locks will provide an extra layer of security and peace of mind.
- Upgrade Your Locks – If the locks on your new home are old or outdated, it’s a good idea to replace them with newer, more secure locks. There are many high-tech options available today that can provide higher levels of security. An example of this would be smart locks that allow you to control access to your home from your smartphone.
- Ensure Proper Functioning – While you may not realize this upon moving in, it’s possible that the locks on your new home may not function properly. They may be difficult to lock or unlock, or the keys may be hard to turn. Changing the locks will ensure that you have functioning locks that provide easy access for you, and no access to anyone else.
- It’s a Fresh Start – Moving into a new home is a fresh start, and changing the locks is a symbolic way to make it truly your own. It’s a small but important step towards making your new house feel like a safe and secure home.
Top Reasons to Hire a Locksmith to Change Your Locks
- Expertise – A professional locksmith has the knowledge and expertise to properly install new locks on your home. They can recommend the best type of lock for needs, and ensure that the locks are installed correctly.
- Time Savings – Changing locks can be a time-consuming task, especially if you’re not familiar with the process and have multiple locks to change. A locksmith can quickly and efficiently change the locks on your new home, saving you time and hassle. If you want to learn more, check out our blog posting about the difference between rekeying vs changing locks.
- Better Security – A locksmith can recommend the best locks for your home, based on your specific needs and budget. They can also install additional security measures, such as deadbolts or door jammers, to provide even better protection for your home.
- Peace of Mind – Knowing that your locks have been professionally installed can provide that extra peace of mind and assurance that your home is truly secure. Having that peace of mind will help you rest easy knowing that your family and belongings are safe and protected.
- Emergency Services – In addition to changing locks, a locksmith can provide a variety of emergency services, such as lockouts or key replacements. It’s always a good idea to have the contact information for a reliable locksmith on hand in case of an emergency.
Changing locks on a new house is an important step towards ensuring the safety and security of your family and belongings. It’s a simple but effective way to provide peace of mind and protect against break-ins. If you’re overwhelmed by the process, or simply aren’t comfortable changing the locks yourself, consider hiring a professional Atlanta locksmith for expert advice and installation. Crown Locksmith is a highly-rated residential locksmith.